Musings

Musings

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Thanks

Greetings all,

For those of you like me in the States, I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving.  I hope that you were able to gather with loved ones whether the bonds be of blood or friendship.  One day out of the year I always know what my ceremony will be about.  That is one thing I'm thankful for.

Every Friday is a day of ceremony for me.  It has been for over 3 years now.  I bring out my mesa and rattle prayers for my ever expanding list of blessed folks.  So many people thank me each week for the prayers, but I really feel that I get the better end of the deal.  This ceremony has become a cornerstone of my practice.  It also always begins with gratitude.  First to the Creator, then to Mother Earth and so on until I have thanked every being in spirit that has assisted me or my clients.  That happens before any prayers are sent out.  In giving thanks I honor those bonds, and show that I respect the spirits that answer when I call.

You will be tested this season.  Yes I am speaking to you.  The world we have dreamed is incomplete.  It makes people feel unworthy of life.  It requires us to constantly prove our worth and our deservingness to be here.  In this season you will be told you must prove your love by buying trinkets.  You will be told that you must if you wish to be worthy of respect and love.  You will be shown stories of perfect homes, with perfect trees, perfect feasts, and perfect families.  You will compare yourself to these fantasies.  You will feel as if you have failed, because you don't have the boundless energy, enthusiasm, and emotional fluidity of these fables.  

I'm all for a good story.  However lately we have sacrificed depth for the window dressings of a story.  We've gone in for special effects and the props department, and skimped on the writing.  I don't quite feel the magic of the season.  So as we gather this year, I have an idea.  Be present with one another.  Bring beauty into your home and families.  Don't focus so much on having everything perfect or being filled with glee.  We are going into the dark of the year.  The important thing is we're going together.

Why am I telling you this?  Well Christmas has swallowed Thanksgiving and has almost inhaled Halloween too.  It has become more about economy than about any spiritual truth.  Black Friday has passed, I did not participate.  I never do.  It was only recently that I found out that the title was due to the fact that it was the day that retailers finally go into the profit margin, hence they are in the black instead of the red.  I always thought it meant that it dark and terrible you know like the black death.  So in this time of blaring red and green neon advertisements I challenge you to reconnect with the seasons and nature's rhythm.  I challenge you to stoke your inner fire and share it with those you care for.  I challenge you to let yourself rest and enjoy the time.  See what does for your holiday spirit.

Peace and Blessings,
Thomas Mooneagle

No comments:

Post a Comment