Musings

Musings

Friday, November 8, 2013

The First Commandment

Greetings everybody,

Lately I have been posting on Facebook about the First Commandment.  This is not to be confused with the judeo-christian First Commandment. I think it was watching a few videos about Russell Brandt's new messiah tour that sparked the idea.  In this age of wireless connections how can we know how our digital footprint will affect those yet to come into the world.  I thought well if on the very off chance that I become a messianic figurehead to some new sect of religion after I die, I wanted to go on record firmly about what I considered the most important guideline to live one's life.

The First Commandment of Thomas Mooneagle also happens to be the only commandment.  It is quite simply summed up as, "Don't be a dick."  It really is that simple.   Everything else is just filler.  The feast of the Mooneagle where you bring out the eagle piƱata filled with after dinner mints is just spectacle.  The plate spinning rite is a metaphor.  Any other ritual, ceremony, or bit of prayer is simply a way to distract the mind long enough to let you receive this great truth.  The world doesn't need more teachings.  It needs fewer people being cruel to one another.

If I take this ego trip for the full ride and I think I should, it will become apparent that even this simple truth will most likely be obscured in time.  Scholars would argue about the literal meanings of "being a dick".  Perhaps extreme feminists will take it to mean that men are inferior to women and must be firmly controlled and silenced.  Others will perhaps advise self mutilation of the offending male genitalia.  Even the enlightened few who know that the "being a dick" refers to behavior will quibble over what constitutes "dickishness".   Will dietary restrictions and clothing proscriptions be issued?

This is why I struggle with organized religions.  So sure of themselves and their scriptures, trying to define and categorize the infinite using the finite.  I am not suggesting that we abolish religion. I do think it is merely a starting point in our exploration into the infinity of consciousness.  I have never heard of a deity described in a way that would do infinity justice.  Spiritual community is important, but when it becomes too insular it becomes more extreme and judgmental.  People begin to selectively apply their beliefs to fit their egoic needs.  As we know the ego needs to feel special and likes to compare itself to others (well I do anyways).  One of the easiest ways to do this is to make others less worthy than yourself according to your belief structure.  In Anne Lamott's book Bird by Bird she wrote one of my favorite quotes of all time,  "You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” 

So what does this ego trip of mine into my possible rebirth as a messianic figure have to do with you?  Are you taking something too literally?  Are you following the form and losing the spirit?  Are you making things more complicated than they need to be?  Are you being a dick to someone?  Are you being clear with your words?  In a recent visit to a future potentiality my descendants shared with me a secret, "Be careful what you say for your words are with us still."  Given the nature of the internet they may have a point.  Ponder these questions and contemplate the possibility of yourself as a holy figure.  What message would you leave behind?


Peace and Blessings,

Thomas Mooneagle






No comments:

Post a Comment