Musings

Musings

Friday, November 29, 2013

Less is more

Greetings all,

The holiday season has begun for most of us here in North America.   I've liked Thanksgiving better than Christmas for a number of years.  It started when we began going to my grandmother's house to celebrate it.  I also didn't yet have to spend more than I could afford on presents.  Beyond that though it was about gathering together and expressing gratitude for all the blessings we've been given.  I always used to write a special entry into my journal on Thanksgiving listing all that I was grateful for.  More often than not it was for particular people in my life.

One thing I have realized is that in most respects I've had it pretty easy.  I've never gone hungry, or with out shelter, clothes, or medical care when I needed it.  For those of us who have never experienced profound need it can be easy to take that for granted.  There is a lot that goes into a holiday feast.  So many just inhale their food and barely taste or appreciate it.  I myself used to load up a bit more than I needed to on turkey and dressing.  I used to look forward to the next holiday and all the things I wanted.

A strange thing has happened.  It has been coming for a number of years.  There are fewer and fewer things I want for Christmas.  My family has for the past few weeks been needling me for gift ideas.  They want to get their shopping done.  This is not to say that there is nothing that I want at all.  (Perhaps the only thing I could really use is a new car but that's not generally in anyone's budget).  It  just isn't something you can purchase easily and wrap.  How do you wrap more success in business?  How do you give someone better relationships?  I've come to that point in my life that the things that I really desire can only be provided by myself.

It is I think a good place to be.  It started probably two years ago right after my first session in the advanced shamanic initiation program I just completed.  I was told to get rid of stuff, I had too many things.  I still kind of feel that way even though I gave away almost half of my stuff and about three quarters of my stone collection.  We are living in an interesting time when a whole library can be stored on a tiny flash drive, we can carry mp3 players full of all our music in our pockets.  In this time though a dinner with friends, a game night, and a craft night fill my soul more than any gift.  I was recently treated to dinner by a friend and  I felt so valued and cared for.  So I do like little gifts.  Gifts of your time, your assistance, and your kindness.

So what am I rambling on about?  Really that I've been very lucky to have my needs met.  This year I have forged stronger bonds with others and I have broken bonds that held me back.  I have seen myself clearly and not been horrified with what I found (most of the time).  I am grateful for all the people in my life and for the people who are no longer in my life.

How about you?  Are you grateful for what you already have?  What you've never lacked?  Do you crave more things?  Are you standing in line on holidays trying to buy love in a fancy box?  Is your love for sale?  Did you get a good price for it?  What would happen if you gave a little less stuff and a little more love?  What if you received fewer things and more of the people in your life?  Ponder that the next few weeks.

Peace and Blessings,
Thomas Mooneagle

P.S.  I did want to say I am grateful to all the people who read this blog and have told me how it has helped them bless you and may your heart find all it seeks in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment