Musings

Musings

Monday, November 12, 2018

Getting clear

Greetings all,

I hope you had a great week.  The cold seems to have moved in, and we're swiftly moving from fall to winter here.  The time change is still messing with me in the evenings when it seems like the light has just been stolen from the world, but such is the insanity of our clockwork existence.

I can take a long time to make up my mind on things.  I ponder and turn over options in various combinations before I make a single move, loathe to change anything that might make matters worse.   When I do move it can seem impulsive to someone who isn't familiar with me.  They see the pent up energy of my attention unleashed all at once.  It is good to ponder change.

This past week I finally updated the description of my main healing sessions on my website.  I had written it several years ago when I did a reworking of the site.  I had looked at it in the past few months and knew I needed to change it.  When I finally copied it down into my word processor and really looked at what I had put out there for the past few years I was kind of horrified.  It was unclear, full of passive language, self deprecating expressions, and just plain confusing to anyone who wasn't an expert in energetic healings.  It would explain the lackluster sign up rate I had.  Once people work with me they tend to want to work with me again, but I get a lot of questions via email and the most common was about what my sessions were exactly.  I think I have solved that problem though.  I did it by cutting out a lot of detail and using simpler phrases.

I live in a bubble.  I have friends that are in energy healing fields, be it tantra, chi kung, yoga, massage, shamanic practice, or reiki, they all have a framework for the kinds of techniques I employ. The problem is that the world doesn't share my bubble.  Most people don't know what I'm talking about.  There are so many layers of complexity when you work with clients, but you can't really explain that all in a service description.  If you do, you'll overwhelm and confuse people.  This leads to them either thinking they don't know enough to work with you, or that you don't know enough to explain it properly.  Both of those scenarios are less than ideal.  So I took out all the technobabble and generalized things.

Why am I telling you this?  Well, I'm not the only one who lives in a bubble.  We all have an understanding or expertise that we want to share with the world.  It is vital that we learn how to reach people at a basic level so that we can share what we have to offer.  There's time later  to go into more depth with those interested in learning more.  Learning to effectively communicate rather than pontificate is a life lesson.  What appears mundane to us may be completely novel and exotic to someone with different life experiences.

How about you?  Are you trapped in the echo chamber of your life bubble?  Do you have a hard time communicating what you know to the world at large?  Well maybe it is time to simplify.  Try not saying everything in an introduction.  Aim for clarity, simplicity, and connection.  I will be continuing on my quest to reach the outside world.  I hope to meet you there.

Peace and Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment