Musings

Musings

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Breath of Magic

Greetings all,

No suggestive pictures or catchphrases this week, alas I know you were waiting to be shocked.  This week was all about noticing the world around me and how I'm interacting on multiple levels.  Weather was the big teacher this week.

About midway through the week we had freezing rain.  It didn't stick to the roads, but it did coat the trees and bushes with a layer of ice.  The forest wore crystal.  I went to visit a loved one who was recovering from a stay in the hospital.  As I stepped out, I noticed the air.  It seemed somehow white, full of something.  It was cold but it brought freshness rather than the cloying bite that winter air usually holds.  The quality of light and sound seemed crisp and invigorating.  In short it smelled of magic.

Now when I talk of magic it makes some people uncomfortable.  People both want to believe in it, but are worried about looking foolish for doing so.  There is also some confusion as to what magic could be.  What people mean when they say it depends as much on who they are, as to what it may actually be.  I associate it with the deep mysteries of life, deeper meanings of the soul, and the power to create.  For me it is about a feeling rather than an idea.  What I had forgotten is that nature creates it.  The turn of the seasons, the weather, and the rising and setting of the sun and moon; all of them generate the deeper currents of our life.  Life will, if we let it, create magic of its own accord.  It is up to us flow with it, and occasionally shape it towards an end that our heart yearns for.

It is easy to forget that true power is in the world and our response to it.  We cordon ourselves off from it, and lead digital lives behind screens.  I've been told time and again that the digital world does not hold the nourishment that my body, mind, or soul needs.  It is the random world of leaf, trunk, and footpath that holds the wonder that I seek.  The breath of magic is the inhalation of forest air, of the mountains' mist, the sea breeze, or the brisk dry air of desert wind.  I must unplug to seek it.

So why am I telling you this?  Well the confusion of the mind can keep us from seeing the magic around us.  How often do you walk while you text?  Do you walk or jog with headphones?  Do you prefer the predictability of a treadmill and a screen rather than the outside air?  Winter is not my season.  It might not be yours either, but there is magic in it.  Every part of nature holds wonder if you can find the right way to see it.  While I was enamored by the super blue blood moon for it's symbolic power, I have come to realize  that the crystalline forest and the first stirrings of the trees around me hold a greater energy.  Nature is magical, the interplay of life and death, and the interdependency of all things as they move together in synchrony.  Go outside, take a deep breath, feel the rhythm of living things and you will breathe in magic.

Peace and Blessings,
Thomas Mooneagle

No comments:

Post a Comment