Musings

Musings

Friday, May 15, 2015

Naming it to Claiming it

Greetings all,

The weeks seem to be going faster lately.  I think it has to do with the fact that I am getting out more and am involved with various projects.  Currently I'm making decent headway on my first book.  I'm already past 16,000 words.  I'm doing my best to cover all the topics in a professional manner while keeping my distinctive narrative voice.  So there is some swearing but only where appropriate. Hot DAMN!

Many of you don't know this but I have always been at odds with my body.  I am quite short for a man.  I've also not very strongly built.  While I am not out of shape I am not what I consider to be fit. This has troubled me over the years and made me feel unattractive which then of course puts out that vibration so people have tended to mirror that back to me.  I was talking with a friend of mine who has the exact opposite build of me he's a powerlifter built like a bull.  He shared with me that for years he had wanted to grow bigger but was worried what people would think if he got too big.  He finally let go of the concerns of what others would think of him and now he's happier.  He's also enormous and wearing it well.

During our conversation it finally dawned on me I had never truly verbalized what I think my ideal build would be.  I had thought of it in terms of numbers, body fat percentages, waist to chest ratios but never in a really descriptive way.  It came to me in a flash!  I wanted to have a yogi-martial artist-cat burglar build.  I had pieces of the idea before but never all together.  It was the cat burglar that really tied it all together.  I want to be lean, strong, and nimble.  I also want to move quietly and cleanly with a  feline grace.  I had named it finally and suddenly it didn't seem so impossible.  I got so excited I rushed to call people and tell them, I even updated my Facebook status.  This lit an inspirational fire in me.  I started asking other people to describe their ideal build. I told one friend she pretty much had attained a gymnast fairy princess kind of build.

In magical traditions it is often taught that names have power.  To name something is to summon it, to call upon its power, or even control it.  When we name a goal we start to create a pathway to it.  While I know it is just my outward appearance it felt like more to me.  It felt like finding a good pair of shoes that fit right and made me want to dance.  After naming my physicality I went further and started naming other attributes.  I wanted to be a trickster with a heart of gold.  I am sure I will come up with others and I will have fun with those too.  The trick is to name in a way that fires the imagination and emotions.

So what about you?  Have you ever sat down and really named your goals for yourself  in a way that  puts your desires in blazing lights across the sky of your mind?  Are all your dreams of the paint by numbers variety?  Well break out the crayons, markers, finger paint, and glitter glue in your imagination and get messy.  Take it from me a Traveling Trickster with a heart of gold who juggles fates in his hands, you'll be glad you did.

Peace and Blessings,
Thomas Mooneagle

P.S.  Feel free to color outside the lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment