Musings

Musings

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Wax and Wane

Greetings all,

I hope you had a lovely week.  We had the last of the super moons for the year this week.  This final full moon of the summer was a doozy.  To top off that I led a public despacho ceremony and a friend of mine did some workings on my behalf.  Well things definitely changed.

I've been in  the middle of a work cycle in my ceramics studio the past few weeks trying out a new method of working on the potter's wheel.  Unfortunately for me the boxes where I stored my clay had been compromised so I have been working with much stiffer clay than I ever have before.  I have also been working larger.  This has presented me with quite a challenge.  The bad news, my body is sore my muscles are knotted, and the clay didn't dry right so it is all cracking.  It really knocked the wind out of my sails to see all that effort yield no results.  The good news is that I was able to work with the clay and shape it more effectively.  The new method worked, and if I'd had clay that was at the normal consistency I believe I could have had even more progress with my skills.  The muse giveth and the muse taketh away as it were.

This theme of growth and decline has been present the last three moons.  At the same time as my foray into recalcitrant clay was going on, I've been investing more into my teaching role.  For those of you who don't know I teach tai chi at a local wellness center.  I started in May and I must say it's been one of the nicest experiences in teaching I've had thus far.  The center is beautiful with bamboo floors, high ceilings, good natural light, a great sound system, and wonderfully appreciative students.  My skills as a teacher have blossomed here.  I feel I am a much better teacher now because of the particular challenges to instructing I've had in this space.  Well just as I had given notice to let go of more of my hours at my part time job to make room for more teaching time I was informed that the center was closing.  When did this happen?  You guessed it on the full moon.

In some respects it's been one bitch of a moon.  Many people in my social circle are experiencing hardships (all in time with the lunar cycle).  It's been everything from a beloved pet dying, to a husband in the hospital, to relationships ending, and of course lost jobs.  Still in my case the 2 main challenges have given me as much as they've taken (more really once time has passed).  In both cases my crafts were honed. An increase in skill is an increase in opportunity as far as I'm concerned.  While I've been exhausted with my schedule I now have an opening coming up.  New doors, new paths, and new opportunities lie before me.  I can feel that now.  ( I gave myself 3 days to sulk and wallow).  I had to feel my fears and disappointments.  They waxed full and now they are waning.  Like the moon our emotions follow a rhythm, if we can ride it we can capture opportunity when it passes close by.

So as far as my losses go, I lost some time in the studio.  I've lost a certainty about a physical space to continue teaching.  As far as gains go, I am better able to use my clay skills.  I am a better teacher than I was at the beginning of the summer.  (I actually have students willing to follow me to a new space when I find one).

What about you?  What has been on the wane in your life recently?  Beyond the discomfort and fear that comes with it are there any benefits?  Is it making room for more growth or  more opportunities?  They say the moon is the mother of luck and risk, what have you risked lately?  What venture have you boldly put your stake into?  Did you lose your shirt, your pride, or your way?  Perhaps what was lost was simply not good enough for you.  What if the universe ripped it from your hands because it has something bigger just beyond the veil.  Tricky thing is luck, it's like fire light and wild, and its also like water slippery and flowing.  We can't hold onto luck it moves in and out.  We can only recognize it, partner with it, and cultivate our lives as it waxes and wanes like the silver moon.

Peace and Blessings,
Thomas Mooneagle

No comments:

Post a Comment