Musings

Musings

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Transitions

Greetings all,

I have had so much go on in the past few weeks I barely know what to talk about.  The despacho ceremony at the beginning of the month has already brought in several blessings and opportunities.  The most obvious one is that I began teaching tai chi once more.  This time in a brand new location.  (For those in the Louisville Metro Region check out Wellness 360).  I have already taught two classes and have had a wonderful time doing so.  My other blessing is that several other venues for my artwork have opened up.

One of the things people don't realize is that even when good things happen we experience stress if it is something we're not used to, or if we are uncomfortable with change.  (Anyone else out there struggle with that…go on raise your hand).  As we transition to new ways of working and being in the world we have to deconstruct some of our former beliefs, routines, and even our self image.  It is a good idea to create space around transitions if we can.  It pays to give ourself extra time to rest and let the novelty of our life changes sink in gently.  When we don't we can easily become overwhelmed as much by the ups in life as by the downs.  We need to come back to center no matter what is going on.

You would think I'd have learned this by now, but unfortunately I have the habit of burning myself at both ends.  From the outside it often can look as if nothing is going on with me.  However most of my friends know better than that.  I always have several projects going at once, and then when one takes off I don't tend to stop at all.  Sleep is usually the first thing I short myself on.  This of course is exactly what you don't want to do, when change comes you handle it better if you're well rested.

So how does this apply to you?  Well do you give yourself the space you need to transition properly?  Have you started a new job, relationship, or chapter in your life recently?  Are you frustrated because you feel exhausted when things start happening?  Well you might just need to go gently with yourself.  You might have to treat yourself with great care and tenderness.  You don't always have to dive right in, sometimes it is best to wade into the ocean of our lives.

Peace and Blessings,
Thomas Mooneagle

No comments:

Post a Comment