Musings

Musings

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Momentum

Greetings all,

The summer flew by and the fall equinox is coming this weekend.  I can hardly believe it.  The rate of change in my life seems to be increasing.  I'm very grateful that my social life has begun to pick up and simultaneously so has my business (coincidence I think not).  This whole year has been full of surprises and expansions along with some heartache thrown in to jumpstart me in new directions.

One of the big things I have been focusing on has been consistency.  Whether it was in keeping to a schedule, a practice, or intent.  I have had a year of inspiration in my artwork.  This I attribute to making the commitment to get together with my fellow artists and work together once a month.  I have seen my energies shift and strengthen, and I attribute this to regular ceremony and energetic practices.  My body has experienced more ease as I have become more consistent with both my tai chi and meditative chi kung practice.

I've heard inspiration is a fickle thing.  However I've found that if I strike while the vision is strong with me I can add to the momentum.  If I feel dried up on the inspiration front I can always work on something I sketched out earlier when the muse was flinging out ideas.  Often times when I start working new ideas come to me, but I at least get to execute what I had envisioned and give it life.  Skill comes with consistent practice.  Inspiration follows those that follow through.

2013 has been the year of establishing good routines and structures for me.  It may have something to do with Saturn moving through Scorpio (my moon sign).  I have found that the more I stick with something the better my overall energy becomes.  Several months ago I began a weekly prayer rattling ceremony to build energy and raise blessings.  It really does help me to bring in sacred power and bless those around me.  It helps me to continually sanctify the space in my office along with the smudging.  I smudge every time I come into the office.  All this builds up energy and pattern.  So much so that last week when I forgot to rattle, the energy literally tapped me on the shoulder and cleared its throat.  (So not to worry blessing recipients the ceremony was performed).

The last few weeks I have added a new energetic routine to strengthen and build my energy field in my heart.  I do this everyday sometimes for just a few minutes before sleep, but it is making a difference.  Some days I practice much longer, but the point is I practice everyday.  Since I began that practice my business picked up, I've been more productive in my art work,  and I just feel more coherent and satisfied.

So you may think well that's great Mr. Mooneagle but I don't have time for all that nonsense.  I work a normal job (or if you're here in America more likely 2 or 3).  The good news is that most things don't have to take up a lot of time.  Five minutes here, ten minutes there practiced consistently over time will yield a much stronger result than sporadically practicing something an hour or so at a time.  Using the in between times to practice something as simple as deep breathing with intent is enough to bring about a change in your awareness.  The key is momentum, and you get that by sticking with something over the long haul.  If you miss a day start again the next day.  It really is about the long term.

How about you?  Is there something you can do to change that is short and simple?  Are there affirmations or contemplations you could stick to your mirror and take a moment with when you start and end your day?  Do you have time on your commute, lunch break, or in your winding down time at night to spend  five minutes in prayer or meditation?  Do you have ten minutes to spare for some chi kung or yoga?  Can you take a short walk? What if you just took a few minutes everyday to focus on something uplifting and beam gratitude out to the world?  It doesn't have to be long.  It doesn't have to be complicated.  It just has to be something you do to anchor your intent to grow and change everyday.  Try something out for a few weeks, don't get overly ambitious just set aside five to ten minutes a day.  Turn off the computer (after you finish reading my blog of course).  Put the phone on silent, turn off the television and relax.  You'll be glad you did.

Peace and Blessings,
Thomas Mooneagle

p.s.  Leave a comment below to sound off on what practice you are taking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment