Musings

Musings

Monday, April 2, 2018

Nancy Drewing

Greetings all,

Happy Easter/Passover or (insert spring festival celebration here).  Hope you had a festive weekend filled with good company and good food.  I've been watching the tell tale signs of new growth coming across the land despite a colder spring.  Weather can be capricious, but then so can I.

Systems range from highly ordered to highly disordered.  The best ones in my opinion fall somewhere in the middle.  Too much order and you get stagnation,  too much disorder and everything falls apart.  I am the disorder in a system.  It's part of my role, mischievous me, trickster in training.  I like to see how the pieces of a pattern fit together.  I like to push against those places that have too much order.  Fun and games help me balance this nature so that I don't become too destructive.

I would like to add that I'm not against rules, I'm just against  ones that make no sense.  When I encounter those, if I can get around them it makes me feel warm and tingly inside.  Well I got that chance this week.  I had an appointment with a friend at their studio for some bodywork.  They were going to set me on fire (metaphorically speaking) in the name of alchemical science.  I probably should have used the bathroom at my office before I left, but I didn't want to be late.  So I arrived hoping to use the facilities.  Unfortunately the one good bathroom was off of the event room and it was booked that day.  Now technically there is another bathroom, but it's well how do I put it, a bit murdery.  It makes me think of horror movies and getting shanked while I am answering nature's call.  So we set off on an epic quest to find a bathroom that had less homicidal overtones.

We wandered far over concrete stairs, and unfinished floors twisting round and round the expansive space, encountering Lovecraftian corridors. We found no bathrooms, but did uncover a back way into the event room which happened to be empty at the time.  My friend looked at me and I said, "Oh we are so Nancy Drewing this."  So the quest was complete, the promised bathroom found, and we got away with it too with none the wiser.

So why am I telling you about this tale of plumbing and sneaking?  Well a lot of us get caught up on the "rules".  It is important to remember that just because a rule exists doesn't automatically make it right.  There is a long history that continues to this day of laws that are downright cruel.  Order can be just as destructive as chaos.  It can kill you as surely as chaos can, the pathway is just different.  There are times when for your own good or the good of others you have no choice but to break the rules.  Do yourself a favor, do not over internalize rules, they exist as a framework for the common good.  When they aren't functioning that way they need to be changed.

Peace and Blessings,
Thomas Mooneagle

P.S.  Do pick up your dog's poop though, I mean that's just rude when you don't.  It spreads diseases when it isn't disposed of properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment