Musings

Musings

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Why my podcast is not safe for work

Greetings all,

I hope you had a good week.  If you can tell by the picture mine was a bit out of the ordinary.  While I freely admit that the pose is mine, the caption and words were added by a friend.  This was the first thing I saw when I went to our game night. It was posted on the door, apparently they were having a surprise birthday party for me.  Surprise!

I should probably back up and explain things a bit.  First,  I don't have a podcast...yet.  Secondly the whole pussy picture happened because of a conversation with a friend of mine who was happy that she could talk about vagina with  me and not have me go "Eww gross vaginal issues!" We got to talking about the word vagina and of course it's buddy penis.  I've never really cared for either word it's like they clinically designed them to sound like an unpleasant infection.  Having known people in the tantra tradition I am familiar with the sanskrit terms which I like better, yoni and lingam respectively.  Yoni sounds like a dessert you'd order at a fancy restaurant. "Yes I'd like the spiced yoni with honey.  Does that come with lingam?"

Some of you may find this type of talk very uncomfortable.  Well it's about to get even crazier.  I don't know how it happened but my mind started thinking of Voltron.  For those unfamiliar Voltron, it's a bunch of lion shaped vehicles that join up to make a giant robot that fights monsters.  It was really big in the 80s as a cartoon, and I even got a Voltron for Christmas one year.  Of course instead of lion robots I was thinking of lingam and yoni joining up to became a tantric warrior robot.   I couldn't think of the word for the tantric embrace at the time so we started to just call it Pussytron.  We did eventually find the actual word ,yab-yum, but Yabyumtron just doesn't roll off the tongue the same way.

Now conversations about topics like the one above happen quite frequently between my friends just as much as the deep esoteric "spiritual" conversations.  Sometimes we weave in and out of more serious reflections interspersed with sexual humor.  Considering what's going on in our culture right now though a Pussytron would be useful to combat all the blatant sexism and shaming of women.  That said, this is why if and when I try my hand at podcasting it would not be something you could listen to at the office, or around the kiddos (or your mother).  I have been trying to avoid the pitfalls of the guru/healer/mystic persona.  It puts you up on a pedestal and pretty soon you start believing the hype, and then your ego takes it from there.  So I delight in poking holes in the notion of what a person in the spiritual arts business is like.  It is also more genuine, I find humor is one of my strengths.  As for why my humor is often sexual, well sex is such a taboo topic that humor seems the safest way to approach it.  Do we need to have real conversations around it, absolutely, but we also have to learn to not take ourselves so seriously.  The Pussytron conversation had me laughing like I hadn't laughed in months.  At this time of the year where the gray days really weigh heavy on me, anything that lightens my heart is appreciated.

So why am I telling you this?  Well, it is a shout out to the awesome friends that put together an impromptu themed surprise birthday party for me complete with Voltron hats sporting the pussy logo.    It is also a reminder that life doesn't always have to be a chore.  We've created a word in the past few years "adulting" meaning getting the drudgery of life done.  We associate being an adult with just having to put up with things.  We have squashed our dreams down so we can  adult.  I'm not saying that we don't have obligations, but I am saying that adulthood is not just about obligation.  It is about taking responsibility for charting your course and creating your life.  So when I do podcast it will be for adults, and it will be fun.

So how about you?  Did you leave your sense of humor in your schooldays?  Do you take appropriateness too far?  Are you trying too hard to be respectable?  Well stop it I say!  Get on board the Pussytron and let's fight the dark forces together...laughing all the way.

Peace and Blessings,
Thomas Mooneagle

1 comment: