Musings

Musings

Sunday, August 27, 2017

So Little

Greetings all,

It has been an exciting week.  We started off with a nation spanning total solar eclipse.  I myself was just out of the path of totality.  Had I not had two classes to teach that day I would have traveled the few hours to see it.  Lucky for me there is another one in just seven years, and I have glasses that will last that long.

I watched with family members from my backyard and driveway.  We passed around the eclipse glasses.  At one point I practiced Tai Chi, just to have the experience under the odd light.  In my area, the eclipse got to 96 percent coverage.  What struck me the most was just how bright only 4 percent of the sun's light was.  There was a noticeable temperature change, the wind picked up, but on the whole I was expecting it to be much darker.  It looked more like late afternoon than midday.  The shadows were odd, as the gaps in the tree canopy showed the thin crescent of light of the sun overhead.  The sun waned and waxed like the moon, changing their roles in the sky.

There has been much written on the symbolism of the eclipse, astrologically and energetically.  For me personally I found it to be a very emotional event.  The fact that only the smallest sliver of sun still had the power to light up our world was the biggest thing I took away from it.  In a way it gives me hope.  In dark times no matter how small the source of light may be it still has the power to push back the darkness.

As I look back on my many failures I wonder if they matter.  If only a small amount of what I attempt succeeds it may be enough to make a big impact.  So this week as you think about your life, decisions, regrets, and your occasional accomplishments be a bit more mindful of how a small shaft of light can make all the difference in your world.

Peace and Blessings,
Thomas Mooneagle

No comments:

Post a Comment