Musings

Musings

Friday, April 5, 2013

Dreaming in the Deep

Greetings dear readers,

This post should have happened several weeks ago, but topics collide and I get sidetracked.  Today I am going to talk about dreams.  Now many people have told me they don't dream.  Poor dears, I'd be lost without my dreaming life.  I can tell you when I am going through a hard time my dreams really help reveal what's going on below the surface.  I've kept dream journals for over 20 years now.  It started with my less than successful attempt to learn to lucid dream.  Not that I haven't had those, but they are rare for me.  On the upside the recording of my dreams helped me to remember them more clearly and have access to a lot more information.

You think I'm talking about dreaming the future?  I've had a scant few of those types of dreams as have most people.  What I've found more valuable is the ability to dream true about the present.  What we see on the surface is like seeing the iceberg on the surface of the ocean.  Most of what is really going on is hidden beneath the surface of the waves.  Dreams have a way of diving deep below to see the under belly of what's going on.  I can't tell you how many times I've had dreams where the actors are people in my life and I've had what they are really up to pointed out to me blatantly.  Personally I sometimes think I am a bit slow on the uptake.  These days I tend to view my dreams a bit more seriously.

The dreaming self though sometimes cloaks the meaning of our night time holidays in weird guises.  Nightmares are a very good example of that.  The most terrifying dreams though can yield the most useful information.  It usually takes some digging to figure them out (why oh why did it have to be zombies again?)  and other times it is crystal clear.  I'll give you an example.

A few weeks ago I was having a dream and there was something down in the basement.  It was absolutely pitch black down there and I felt like something was coming up the stairs.  I panicked and threw my tea down the stairs.  Now later I felt bad about this, what if it hadn't been an intruder.  It could have been someone hurt or injured, or I may have killed the intruder (I didn't know their intentions even asleep I generally tend to frown on homicide).  As I was waking up another dream character was very generous in that they interpreted the dream for me, I mean you can't ask for better service than that.  She told me, "Your fears are not real."

Now you are  thinking wow cool end of story right?  Nope because a week later I had another nightmare which touched on one of my primal fears.  I have had plague dreams on and off for years.  Past life during the black death in Europe could be a culprit there, but there is generally a theme of helplessness and fear, and being cast out.  Well like all my other plague dreams I was terrified and I woke up in a rotten mood, but then there was that voice that reminded me, "Your fears are not real."  I was able to step back and not go on the downward emotional spiral that usually accompanies starting my day waking up from a  nightmare.  In fact I was able to analyze the dream and see that the underlying factor wasn't so much fear of the plague, but the shame of being judged by the townsfolk.
Shame was the underlying core issue.  Since then I have been looking at the role shame has played in shaping my life.  It's been profound to say the least to look at that.  So my nightmares have given me a direction for my own inner work and healing to focus on, so much so that in the coming months I will be offering an energetic download to help transmute and heal shame.

What does this have to do with you?  If you pay attention to your dreams maybe you will find something that you'd missed before, some key to your inner life, some silent hand writing scripts for your life story.  Maybe you will see clearly your motives or the motives of other people in your life.  Well my dears it is late and I have an early morning ahead of me.  So I wish you if not pleasant dreams at the very least useful ones.

Peace and Blessings,
Thomas Mooneagle

No comments:

Post a Comment